Thursday, February 14, 2008

tahoe - or how to miss all the turmoil at yahoo!

What good fortune I had in picking this past week to be up in Tahoe. While I have been vacating in an icy wonderland, soaking in hot tubs, learning to ski, back home at work has been non-stop turmoil of a company going through some major changes.

Uncertainty as to the future of Yahoo! has been the overwhelming concern on most peoples minds, with the Microsoft offer being rejected for being to low, to talk about us swapping assets with News Corp., the company is in a state of limbo, and everyone wants to know whats going to happen. At the same time, layoffs hit the company; a valentine's day massacre.

It's sad when there are layoffs, and many of the layoffs of excellent people have left people confused. I was genuinely saddened by the layoff of one of my co-workers, Mark Pettit. While I am sure it has to do with him being remote in Hawaii, the skills and roles he had I do not think can be filled by anyone else. If anything, I blame management for not utilizing his skills properly. Pettit is one of the nicest people and greatest sysadmins I have ever worked with.

No comments: